Monday, March 4, 2013

Book Review: Blackberry Winter

This last month I participated in Peanut Butter Fingers' online book club. This was my first time actually participating in a book club and it was a great way to introduce me to keeping myself on a reading schedule and know that I will get other's perspectives on the book.

I actually was able to get an audio book version from my library and listened to the story while driving back and forth to work and also on a few longer weekend ventures. I found myself numerous times not wanting to get out of my car so that I could keep listening to the story. I was almost late to work once just so I could get to the end of a chapter!

The book of choice was Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio. The book takes place in both 1933 and 2010 in Seattle, Washington and is based on a massive snowstorm in May that basically shuts down the city and makes the record books and the actions that happen on those days in the lives of two women.

The audio book announced which chapter was from whose perspective and besides the reader trying to talk in a male voice (that made me giggle when I first heard it), I really enjoyed the book. It was easy to follow and like I said before, it really pulled me in.

I felt for the characters. I cannot imagine having to leave a child at home to pay the bills and then coming home and finding the son missing. I would be devastated and lost and go to extreme measures to find my child just like the character did. And I liked how the present day character works to unravel the mystery almost 80 years later.

The book had enough twists and turns (not to mention two simultaneous stories that eventually linked togther) to keep me very interested. I have recommended this book to a few friends already and I highly recommend trying an audio book if you are a traveler.

I'll be interested to read other's perspectives on the book and see what came out to them. The posting will be on Peanut Butter Finger's blog this week, so keep a look out :)


1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize that Julie had a book club. That explains why I keep seeing reviews for this book lately :) I was in a book club once and loved that it forced me to read more often, but only when it was books I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete