Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pin-It Tuesday: Wine Glasses

Besides food and workouts on Pinterest, I have also posted a lot of craft projects. The one that really drew my interest on Pinterest (haha) were hand-dotted stemless wine glasses.

I followed the directions from this blog. I bought four small glasses from Wal-Mart for $1.97 and four bottles of acrylic paint for just $.97 each - red, white, blue and yellow.

The hard part was deciding on the color palettes for each glass. I put a plotch of each color on a paper plate and used Q-tips to dab on some colors. You have to wait a bit between each round of color so I used that time to make new shades.

These were really a lot easier than I thought they were going to be. I just continued to dot and layer on the paint.

Then came the time to bake them. I put them on parchment paper and on the middle oven rack. I cranked it up to 350 and set the timer for 30 minutes. I was a little worried for some reason that one would end up shattering or cracking and putting glass all over my mom's oven (that's my anxiety coming out!) But the timer went off, I turned off the oven and cracked the door. Within a half hour the glasses were cool to the touch and I set them in my room to continue cooling and drying for another two days.



I am happy with how three of the four turned out. I didn't like what happened to the white pain with the other colors. But for a first attempt and for a total of about $2.25, I made four glasses I would have spent probably $5+ at a craft fair.

This will definitely become a go-to gift for friends of mine that enjoy adult beverages. I have thought of so many patterns and variations and I'm pretty excited to test them out. I might even swing by Goodwill for their $.49 glasses and pick up some really unique tumblers.

4 comments:

  1. Cute idea! Love how the different paint colors means wine charms/markers aren't needed for people to keep track of their glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Karis Thanks and totally agree on the wine charm thing. I could never find mine when I wanted to use them anyways. Problem solved :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea! They turned out nice!
    Tabby
    http://www.shoppingwives.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wine glasses are so cute- what a great idea! Stopping by from BYBC13 :)

    ReplyDelete