Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pin-It Tuesday: Flatbreads



I love pizza. That is almost an understatement, but I love it on many levels - Italian, CHEESE, veggies, carbs - is there anything more perfect? I even want a pizza battle in Waukesha to still happen! You can't beat a good take out from a local shop (may I recommend The Cruise in Waterford, Crossroads in Big Bend, Magellans in Waukesha and Fox Run in Waukesha...this list could go on and on.)

I love to make pizza at home for parties, like BBQ chicken and a supreme pizza - a little something for everyone.

But lately, I have really gotten into a different style of 'za -- Flatbreads. I have had a few different ones at local establishments and realized that these are a very simple dinner that I can whip up for myself and be in complete control of the ingredients and calories.

I looked to Pinterest for some suggestions and concocted my own from the types I found here and here. I found FlatOuts at my neighborhood Pick N Save and started with using those for my bread. I spread a little olive oil on it and then had fun with ingredients.

My staples are pretty much sauteed spinach, mushroom and goat cheese but really you can put just about anything on them.



I have also tried Naan bread which is a little thicker than the Flatouts and has more flavor, but that really filled me up. I typically made a flatbread for a night that I am having a later dinner and want something just enough to fill me and really nutritious.

My favorite Flatbread has to be when I had left over Ribs on a Stick from Roberts Specialty Meats. I heated up the ribs slightly in the microwave and pulled them apart with my fingers. I used a little purple onion, mushroom, sauteed spinach and goat cheese to fill these up.

Then I pop them in the oven for 8 minutes at 350 (or until the flatbread is crispy and cheese looks melty). I set the flatbread on our cutting board for a few minutes to set up and then cut it in long slices.



 

I tend to relax with a glass of vino and the Flatbread as they compliment each other well. NOTE: WTF!! wine was an impulse after a LONG day and when it said Pinot Noir and had a fun label, I went for it. Unfortunately it isn't anything like a Pinot Noir or I got a bad bottle. It was overly sweet, almost vinegary sour-sweet and just not good. Even if this was just a bad bottle, I won't spend the money on another or even buy the other varietals. But if someone brings them to a party, I wouldn't mind trying a sip or two :)

So go ahead and let your creative juices flow in the kitchen. If you have other suggestions, my ears are wide open.

3 comments:

  1. My husband loves using tortillas for pizza bases, especially Mexican pizzas but he also tops them with traditional pizza ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a huge fan of tortilla zas using a thicker artichoke and cheese base and whatever I have in the fridge. It is thinner. As I usually eat dinner alone with G working, I use my toaster oven as this is quicker. Of course I also enjoy a glass of wine. So thanks for your note on the WTF! I am a fan of the cupcake wines, but not so much on the red velvet type. That also was an impulse buy that I won't do again. I stick with reds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you are making me hungry with all this amazing food! Your area looks like it would be so fun to visit {when it's not too cold!}. I saw you at BYB & I'm just popping by to say hello. It was great to meet you!

    Warmly, Michelle
    Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

    ReplyDelete