Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pin-It Tuesday: Cheddar & Guinness Dip

This week, I'm sharing some great recipes that you can serve for the necessary Packer Playoff parties that will happen this weekend. Game is Saturday at 6:30 PM.

I found this recipe on WisconsinCheeseTalk.com and posted it on my Pinterest board for Snacks. I thought it would be a good variation from my ranch beer dip that I typically make.

I knew this would be a good recipe to try for New Year's Eve and get my friends' thoughts on it. It was warmly welcomed with the multi-grain mini Club crackers that I brought.

Of course I had to use Wisconsin cheese, so I headed over to the Piggly Wiggly in Muskego to see the different choices. I ended up getting Stone Ridge Sharp Cheddar Cheese from Wautoma, WI. I chose this because I had never heard of it and figured putting it in a dip was a great way to start. 

I sampled some cheese while shredding and it has a nice creamy texture to it. I might have to add this to my list of creameries and wineries to visit in Wisconsin this year. Man is my list getting longer and longer!

I followed the recipe pretty closely, but I didn't have half and half so I used Vitamin D milk. And I don't like Sriracha, so I don't have it in the house. I had some Frank's Red Hot, so I used a few shakes of that.

And I used more beer (probably a 1/2 - 3/4 cup) than it called for to make the dip creamier instead of hard (like my ranch beer cheese dip does). And I didn't have scallions, so I used a bit of a yellow onion left over from another recipe.


I used my mom's kitchen mixer to blend it all together evenly and then put it in the a nice bowl and let it chill for an hour before the party.


3 comments:

Jacob Tischer said...

Nice, my family always picks up Stoneridge stuff when they're up at our cottage near Wautoma. They have great meat and make excellent brats that I've served at a couple of my cookouts. They're actually a specialty shop located within the Piggly Wiggly out there, but good to know that there meats and cheese make it this far down.

Sarah E. said...

I've been wanting to try beer cheese dips for a while now. Your dip looks incredible - pinning to share! Stopping in from Two Cup Tuesday.

amanda ripsam said...

sounds great