Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pin It Tuesday: Butternut Squash Apple Soup

I have become such a fan of Butternut Squash soup this fall and winter. I have made my own, and I have ordered it when grabbing lunch. I decided to take a stab (literally) at making it again and this time adding apple like the one I got from O' What A Nice Day Cafe in Waukesha.
 

Here are my ingredients that I gathered for the soup. This version was derived from a recipe I found on Pinterest, but I altered it a bit to incorporate more of my favorite flavors - sage, red pepper flakes, half & half, hazelnuts & sausage!
Cutting up the squash is always the worst part. I can't seem to find an easy way to do it and my hands always hurt after from the knife. But in the end, I know it's going to be worth it, so I just go for it and pray to not chop off or stab any limbs!


Basically you just simmer apples, squash, onion, some chopped hazelnuts, stock, cider, salt, pepper, coriander together in the pot for 45 minutes. This gets everything tender enough to use your "whipper doodle" (my mom's term for an immersion blender) to blend everything to your desired consistency.



I like a thicker soup so I only added a bit of half & half. But I went a little "nuts" with the sage, hazelnuts, apple sausage from Robert's Specialty Meats. These flavors against the sweet of the apples & squash complimented the soup nicely. I added very few red pepper flakes right at the end, but I think I might add a few more next time.


This is definitely being added to my go to list of recipes!

1 comment:

  1. Laura@RochesterDeliJanuary 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM

    Wow ~ your soup looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete